On June 30th, I received a phone call that no wife wants to receive. It was a hot day. I was biking home from work. I had just turned onto my street and was pulling my phone out of my pocket to text a friend and co-worker that I had enjoyed my ride home that day. She had wondered if it was too hot for me to ride that day and asked if I wanted a ride. I politely declined. As I pulled out my phone and started to text her, my phone started ringing instead. I looked at the caller ID and saw that work was calling me. I answer. My poor boss got the privilege of breaking the news to me that my husband had been in a bike accident and was being taken to Chatham Hospital via ambulance. She said there was a witness and would text me the number so I could call them and get more details. Alrighty then, not exactly how I expected my afternoon to go.
Sunday, 23 August 2026
Unexpected Lessons and Blessing from a Bike Accident.
We hung up, and I called my friend/coworker and asked for a ride to the hospital. I told her that there had been an accident, and that there was a witness, and I would call the witness on the way. She gets in her SUV and picks me up. While I was getting ready to leave our apartment, I saw a text from my father-in-law, saying that hubby had been in an accident and to use his car to get myself to him and bring him home. At first, I declined because I already had a ride planned, but once I dialled the number for the witness and discovered that the witness was my father-in-law. You see, when I first got his message, I didn't understand his involvement in the accident. Once I understand his connection, I asked my friend to drop me off at the shop to get his car and find out what happened.
After hubby's last accident a couple of winters ago, when I found out about it after the fact and saw that he was physically okay before I knew about anything, I wondered how I would respond if I knew about an accident before seeing his condition. Well, that day was the day. I was panicked, but not hysterical. I simply needed to get to my husband. I was safe to drive.
My Father-in-law gives me the run down of what happened, hands me the keys and tells me how much gas the car has and that the A/C was working. I thanked him and was on my way. I drove out of the shop parking lot, and the tears started coming. I quickly tell my emotions to get in line. I consider calling my mom and talking to her while I drive. I quickly decide not to call and simply pray. Pray to my heavenly Father. The God of the universe. So I start praying and worshipping. While I drove, I prayed for his safety, his healing, praising God for His goodness and worshipped Him for who He is. In case this was the end, and I was about to walk into a critical or life-threatening situation, I thanked God for the 11 years that we have been married. I didn't want to have to look back on this prayer time with any regret. I didn't want to question God. I just wanted to pray and worship. So I did. I wanted to be able to look back, even if the accident was fatal and say that God is and was still good and in control. I am proud of myself for how I reacted to the news and for worshipping God in the process. So, for the next 30 min I worshiped and prayed. Once I arrived, I figured out which parking lot was the correct one, and then, praise God, found the perfect parking spot close to the door. I parked and headed for the main entrance.
I got directions to the emergency room and asked for hubby. After what seemed like a very long minute, I was led into triage. I went around a corner made by curtains. There is a slit in the corner, and I see a foot. Looks like hubby's foot. But I didn't want to believe it was him until I saw his face. A second later, I'm led to the opening of the curtain and see hubby's face. Relief. I was preparing for the worst: wires, cables, etc. nothing. Praise the Lord. Just a relieved husband smiling, and I, his wife, smiling back at him, equally relieved. The doctor working on him asked if he belonged to me and I to him and then to eachother. We said yes, we belonged to each other. Then the doctor filled me in on the details of his accident and the testing they wanted to run. The Dr. had a student working with her, teaching her about the ultrasound machine. Hubby and I quietly talked, and then I gave him a foot massage.
The ultrasound didn't show anything. They ordered an X-ray for his left shoulder and pelvis. We also agreed before all of this that hubby was cognitive and of sound mind. At the scene of his accident, he was seizing or something and was shaking. He then asked me to get him some food; seconds later, the doctor told him not to eat until after the X-ray.
We waited for the X-rays and then the results. Broken collarbone. They gave us a sling, a list of prescriptions to fill, a temp dr note, and a business card for a surgeon. If the surgeon didn't call in two weeks, we were to call them. We left the hospital at 7:30. I was impressed. I arrived at the hospital at 3:30; I think he arrived at 3, and we left together at 7:30. Ultrasound, X-rays, results, and prescription list in4.5 hrs. Rather impressive if you ask me.
We drove home, and I quickly ran up to our apartment to get him a new shirt. Then off to Walmart to fill his prescription just before closing. Then through the drive thru to get supper. We spent the next few days getting adjusted to hubby's new one-armed life. I am not naturally a caregiver. I can cook, clean and run a household, but nursing someone when they are sick? Forget about it. This has been a point of tension in our marriage for years. So there were a few arguments to be had in the first few weeks. Along with dealing with, or better yet, not dealing with my own issues. At the three-week point, I finally came to the end of myself and told God, hubby and myself that it was time to start doing things God's way. I also know that I wanted to get better at taking care of hubby. So I prayed. I knew that I wanted to do better with caring for him. I wasn't there for him during his depression years ago, and I regret that. I didn't want to regret not taking care of him this time. So I prayed and asked for a better servant heart, and He gave it to me. I'm not flawless, but I have come a long way in the last few weeks, and we are both grateful for the change.
I also have a new respect and appreciation for caregivers. I had no idea how exhausting this would all be. Working full-time and then coming home and taking care of hubby full-time has been exhausting. I don’t mean to complain by any means, just being honest. I am grateful that his injuries were not worse by any means, but I am exhausted and done with that sling. So, to those of you who are long-term caregivers, I tip my hat to you. I had no idea. And I will keep on taking care of him until the bone has healed.
I am thankful for it all, though. It has been quite the journey, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but it has changed me for the better and for that I am grateful.
The moral of this story is that God is good, hubby is healing, and I am a changed woman. Glory to God.
I pray that this encourages, teaches, and blesses you in some way today, friend.
God Bless
~Hannah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
There is Beauty in Every Season.
As summer comes to a close and cool fall weather approaches, I’m excited for cozy outfits. Fashion scarves, tights, high-heeled boots a...
-
One afternoon, a week or so ago, Blessing and I set out for our walk. I had been thinking recently of shortening her walk a little and ...
-
When I opened up Spotify to listen to a podcast recently. I asked the Holy Spirit what podcast I should listen to. He directed me to 'Th...
-
The topic for Day 1 was recognizing your worth and value. Proverbs 31:10. “A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth fa...

No comments:
Post a Comment