Sunday, 20 September 2026

Overcoming Comparison Part 2.

    Day three. Did God really say?

    Romans 4:19-22. 19 And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah’s womb. 20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, 21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. 22 And therefore “it was accounted to him for righteousness.” NKJV
    Comparison takes our eyes off what God has given us and turns our eyes onto what was never meant for us. When we start looking at someone else's life, we forget what God is doing in our life. Comparison shows the final work in someone else's life while looking at the incomplete work in your life. It's a joy and peace stealer, which shouldn't be a surprise because that's what the enemy's all about. John 10:10 (NKJV: “The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”
    In the Romans passage, Abraham chose to look to God and the promises he had given him, and not to his present circumstances that didn't align with God's plan. Both he and Sarah were old and, on a human level, unable to have a child of their own. But then, God came and told them they would have a child of their own and that he would be a father to many nations. The enemy's one and only tactic is to get you to question if God really said what he said. We already have everything we need in the season we are in. Whether it looks like it or not from the human perspective. And if we know that in his timing and by his will, he will give us the desires of our heart. Then why do we need to compare our life to the other guy? Simply put, we don't. But that’s easier said than done sometimes.

    Day four. The Carrier of the Blessing
    Genesis 13:9-11. NJKV. 9 Is not the whole land before you? Please separate from me. If you take the left, then I will go to the right; or, if you go to the right, then I will go to the left.” 10 And Lot lifted his eyes and saw all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered everywhere (before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah) like the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt as you go toward Zoar. 11 Then Lot chose for himself all the plain of Jordan, and Lot journeyed east. And they separated from each other.
Ephesians 2:10 NKJV. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.”
    Abraham lovingly gave Lot the first choice of land when they parted ways. I look at it like Abraham was putting Lot first. The author of the study suggests that it's because Abraham knew that God was with him and that the blessing was on him wherever he went because he was the carrier of the blessing. I don't fully understand that yet, but the author suggests that because we are children of God, we carry the blessing wherever we go. This is the freedom that breaks the power of comparison.
When you know God's hand is on your life, there is no need for comparison. You were not built to do what the other guy can do. You were built to do what God has designed you to do.

    Day five. Am I in the will of God?
    Proverbs 3:5 - 6 NKJV. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall [a]direct your paths.”
Am I in the will of God? A simple, and yet profound and important question. As the author says, and I agree, it cuts through the noise of comparison. Today is the final devotional. Beautifully closes out this Bible study. The author suggests that your current circumstances may not look like you had hoped, but someday they might. My circumstances don't look exactly like I would like them to right now either. But that's okay because I know God's got it. They also encouraged us readers to ask ourselves whether we are obeying God right now. Did you do the last thing He told you to do? And are you doing what He's currently telling you to do? Then you were on the right track. I found this to be very encouraging as I thought about my life. Because even though I wish a few things were different, I'm in the Father's will. God has been saying no to a dream of mine. I don't believe it's a hard no. I believe it's a not yet. The other day I prayed about it again, and he said no again. But then I asked why, and he explained. Not that he needs to explain it. Of course He's God. He is the creator of the heavens and the earth. He doesn’t owe us any explanation. But he did, and it gave me peace and hope because I believe that one day it will be a yes.

    God has used this study to break off the chains of comparison, and I'm so thankful for it. That being said, the enemy did sneak in today and get me to start comparing myself again to somebody. But I'm not going to let myself be defeated by it. I'm going to pray and ask the Lord what I should do with that, whether I should be using that person as motivation or if I should walk away from it and put it at the foot of the cross.
But it's okay if you get tripped up. That's where his grace and mercy come in. And now it's time to enjoy the weekend and not worry about the rest of the world. God bless, friend.
    I pray this blesses, encourages, and challenges, you in whatever way you need today, friend.
God Bless
~Hannah




No comments:

Post a Comment

Overcoming Comparison Part 2.

     Day three. Did God really say?      Romans 4:19-22. 19 And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (sin...